There are a lot of features for using digital libraries. The benefits and advantages of a digital library compared to conventional libraries include:
Because digital library collections are digital documents, their storage will be very efficient. They can contain as many as 10,000 – 12,000 titles with e-books on average 500 – 1,000 pages. This amount is equal to the total number of book collections from small to medium size libraries. Read more Benefits of Digital Libraries
Multiple Access at Same Time
The weakness of conventional libraries is that access to the collection is single module. This means that if there is a person who is reading a book in library, the other members who will read must wait for the book to be returned first. Digital collection is not facing this issue. Each user can simultaneously use a multiple digital books at same time that are equally good for reading.
Not limited by space and time
Digital library can be accessed from anywhere and at any time provided there is a computer network (computer internetworking). Whereas conventional libraries can only be accessed if the person comes to the library when the library opens services. If the library is closed then people who come cannot access the library, on the contrary even though the library is open but the user is unable to come to the library then the user cannot access the library.
Collections can be in the form of multimedia
Digital library collections are not only collections that are only text or images. Digital library collections can be in the form of a combination of text, image and sound. Even digital library collections can store documents that are only motion pictures and sound (films) that cannot be replaced with text. You can see videos or small clips on different subjects.
Lower cost for e-libraries
Relatively speaking, the cost for digital documents is cheap. Maybe it’s not entirely true. To produce an e-book may require substantial costs. However, if you look at the nature of e-books that can be duplicated with an unlimited number and at very low cost, we might conclude that electronic documents are very cheap. But a lot of technical work is required to manage them.
The objectives of the Digital Library
As expected from the initial idea, digital libraries aim to open as wide access to information that has been published. The goals of digital libraries according to the Association of Research Libraries (ARL), 1995, are as follows:
- To launch a systematic development of how to collect, store and organize information and knowledge in digital format.
- To develop efficient information delivery in all sectors.
- To encourage collaborative efforts that greatly influence investment in research of sources and communication networks.
- To strengthen communication and collaboration in research, trade, government, and the education environment.
- To hold the role of international leadership in the next generation and dissemination of knowledge into important strategic areas.
- To increase the chance of lifelong learning.
The Role of Digital Libraries in Practical Life
It is explained that digital libraries act as information sources, information service providers, or information users by utilizing digital networks and technology. But how digital collections are used depends very much on how the information is created, organized and presented. In addition, digital libraries are not only concerned with knowledge management and information.
It is explained that the library as a source of information began to play a big role as a companion in the process of lifelong education.
Problems and Issues regarding Digital Libraries
The development of digital libraries is not without obstacles. There are a number of things that are of concern, namely:
- Ability and cost determination. As with other innovations that require an investment, so does a digital library. Moreover, computer infrastructure still requires large costs.
- Copyright problems are divided into two: copyright on digitized documents and copyright on documents on the communication network. In copyright law the problem of document transfer over computer networks has not been clearly defined.
- Problem of digitizing documents. It is also an issue like how to digitize documents and types of digital storage documents, both in the form of full text and page images.
- Fee withdrawal issues.This is a problem especially for private digital libraries that charge fees for each document accessed. Much research in this area has led to the creation of a document access detection system or efforts to realize electronic money.
We also need to know that nowadays people do not want to wander here and there in search of libraries. They don’t want to even spend money on membership fee. The reason is everyone has tasks to do they do not want to spare time each day for physical libraries.
Get free time
People want to access library as they get free time may b it is a night time or a time with 2 am. That’s good reason we should support the existence of e-libraries.